If you have engaged the services of a cartage contractor (transport company) to export goods on your behalf the cartage contractor must ensure that:

The goods are exported within 90 days of the date of the tax invoice. The goods are exported via a designated commercial port in accordance with RSA Customs Procedure. The goods are delivered to an address in an export country. The contractor must issue a tax invoice or invoice to you in respect of the transport of the goods and retain all applicable Customs documents. Once the goods have been delivered, you may apply for a VAT refund by submitting the following documents to the VRA in addition to those documents required when the goods are exported by a qualifying purchaser themselves through a designated commercial port where the VRA is not present: A copy of the tax invoice or invoice issued by the transport company. The export documentation prescribed under the Custom and Excise Act.
Goods exported through a designated commercial port where the VRA is not present:

In the event that you depart through a designated point of departure at which there is no VRA office, you may submit your VAT refund application by post or deliver it to the VRA head office. Procedure for goods exported though a designated departure point where there is no VRA office. Declare and present the movable goods together with the corresponding tax invoice(s) to a customs official at the designated point of departure. Ensure that the tax invoice(s) in relation to the relevant movable goods is/are endorsed by the customs official. Declare the goods in the export country and obtain proof of importation from the relevant authority. Once the goods have been imported the following documents must be lodged with the VRA: The original tax invoice(s) endorsed by customs. A copy of the qualifying purchaser’s passport including those pages reflecting the entry endorsement when arriving in South Africa and the exit endorsement when departing. In the case of a tourist who is a South African passport holder, proof of permanent residence in an export country and proof that the person currently resides in that country. If the qualifying purchaser is a foreign enterprise, a trading license or any other relevant document proving that the business is conducted in an export country, as well as a letter of authorisation authorising the person to represent the enterprise and a copy of the authorised person’s passport. For movable goods exceeding R10 000 in value, proof of payment for the goods.